Have you been intrigued by the prospect of entering the cold, but are unsure whether cryotherapy is suited for you? Consider the advantages of cryotherapy and how a cryotherapy treatment feels, as well as some factors that may prevent someone from undergoing total body cryotherapy.
To begin, what is cryotherapy used for?
Cryotherapy’s growing popularity has caught the attention of athletes, zen aficionados, and beauty gurus alike — and for good reason! Cryotherapy kick-starts your body’s natural healing process by releasing endorphins, anti-inflammatory proteins, and radicals.
As a result, cryotherapy is frequently utilized to aid in muscle regeneration, weight reduction, skin health, and chronic pain management.
The following is a summary of some of the ailments for which our clients utilize cryo:
- Inflammation: Whether we are aware of it or not, inflammation plays a significant part in our failing health. It can manifest itself in a variety of ways, including arthritis, autoimmune illnesses, persistent headaches, joint pain, and irritable bowel syndrome. Additionally, it may cause more modest symptoms such as skin redness, edema, tiredness, and hot flashes. Fortunately, cryotherapy inhibits three distinct types of inflammatory conditions while also decreasing the immune system’s hyperactivity.
- Weight Loss: The body boosts metabolic activity to generate heat in order to preserve its core temperature and as a result, cryo burns up to 800 calories.
- Muscle Recovery & Endurance: Cryotherapy stimulates the production of certain proteins that aid in the quicker healing of muscle fibers. Additionally, freezing stimulates the creation of PGC-1 alpha, a protein that stimulates the development of more resistant fibrous muscle tissue.
- Mood Enhancement: Whenever the body responds to excessive temperatures, norepinephrine, dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins are released in abundance. When used collectively, these hormetic activities have been shown to be advantageous to mental health. Cryotherapy is frequently used to treat anxiety, depression, lethargy, as well as other cognitive problems.
- Hair & Skin Health: Cryotherapy stimulates collagen and elastin formation while increasing blood flow. Additionally, freezing promotes cell autophagy, which means that your body is urged to replenish its cells more quickly. Cryo Toning Facials are ideal for maintaining tight, beautiful skin and healthy hair.
What to Expect with Whole-Body Cryotherapy
For those of you who are making your first appointment at the cryotherapy clinic, you’ll be delighted to know that you’ll be dressed comfortably in soft slippers, thick socks, and a robe. The least you can do is wait while the cryotherapy equipment for the whole body to cool.
Every service and product you desire is available via us. You’ll be directed to our well-stocked changing rooms very soon after arriving. You’ll remove any metal jewelry that’s worn below the neck and swap it for ours when you go to the location. Because of the intense cold of the machine, it is vital to remove as much material and moisture from the machine as possible to avoid burning one’s hands.
Understandably, it might be difficult to shake off the perspiration after the gym, which is why we keep additional towels and shorts in the back. In general, once inside the machine, you’re alone with your birthday suit. Underwear is optional for women; it is not for males. Additionally, you’ll be able to leave your socks, slippers, and a pair of gloves on while in the machine to keep your hands and feet toasty.
To be fair, the machine itself appears to be quite terrifying. Nitrogen fog seeps through the uncovered top, and as the door is opened, the space is filled with a plume of ice mist. By the time the door closes, the three minutes that you will be spending inside the machine will start instantly, and while an elevator will lift your head over the exposed top, your body will stay submerged in the gaseous chill.
While temperatures within the machine might reach as low as -250 degrees, they are rarely uncomfortable. Your legs are particularly vulnerable since the nitrogen naturally descends to the machine’s bottom half. However, as long as your legs remain still, the cold should feel like such.
The nitrogen’s dryness, along with the intensity of the session and the adrenaline your body experiences, often makes the severe cold far less unpleasant than anticipated. We’ll also be conversing with you throughout, so distraction plays a significant role in helping those three minutes fly by. A prickly itch in the legs, a little elevated heart rate, and shortness of breath are all normal feelings.
Finally, the session concludes and the elevator begins its descent. While you remain within the machine, you’ll change back into your robe and notify the technician when you’re ready to go.
Are you becoming impatient to get out of the machine? At each stage of the operation, a magnet holds the door together. Because safety is always a priority, the magnet allows you to terminate the session with a single push in the unusual event of an emergency!
Once out, the body quickly heats back up. The prickly discomfort in your legs will subside, and you’re likely to feel energized by the rush of endorphins and adrenaline. Numerous consumers also claim improved sleep on the days after their cryo treatments!
Is there anyone who cannot benefit from cryotherapy?
Occasionally, our children participate in sports that are strenuous on their bodies. Fortunately, youngsters under the age of 18 are permitted to utilize whole-body cryotherapy with the signature of a parent or guardian.
However, some disorders may preclude someone from using the full-body machine. Although the customer is qualified in general for a targeted or facial treatment along with the infrared sauna treatment in this situation, it is still recommended to consider possible contraindications before arranging your visit.
There are possible conditions that can preclude you from undergoing whole body cryotherapy, and some of these include high fever, severe Reynaud’s syndrome, severe hypertension, uncontrollable convulsions, acute renal and/or urinary tract disorders, and cold allergy. Additionally, cardiac problems such as arrhythmia, symptomatic cardiovascular disease, including unstable angina pectoris are addressed. Although pregnant women are not eligible for whole-body cryotherapy, they are eligible for localized and face treatments.